If you know me, you know I DON’T have a fondness for social media / social apps / social anything. I’m okay being a behind the scenes kinda guy.
However, Now I have a business, and I’m told the business needs an online profile. All I really want to do is hit that Staples Easy Button and have my website be finished, and show up on Google preferably as the #1 hit. I’d settle for #2. If I hit the button – they will come, Simple!
So the website is now finished (obviously since you are reading this post), and it was relatively easy using http://www.squarespace.com. After the website, I initiated the below list of items to create my online bike shop identity, persona, avatar, profile, or page. What do you call it when it is for a business? Anyway, here is my list that will surely bring my website to the front of all google, msn, bing, aol, and yahoo searches.
- Facebook Page
- Google+ Page
- Google Webmaster Tools (submit URL)
- Google Analytics (understand traffic pattern)
- Google Adwords (optimize keywords)
- Bing/MSN/Yahoo Webmaster Tools (submit URL)
- DMOZ (submit URL)
- Google My Business (register in directory)
- Bing Local (register in directory)
- Mapquest (register in directory)
- Manta (register in directory)
- Bizapedia (register in directory)
- Wholesaler Account (list company on their website)
Yeah, I’m putting it all out there, my name, the business name, the phone number, the email, the website, my favorite color (black by the way), you name it and it’s now public knowledge. My business is now social, which means I am now social. Aaaahhhh! (that’s stress speaking)
So what were the results after two weeks worth of social media entering, and subscribing, and posting, and friending, and tagging, and verifying you ask? Well, at the time of writing this…..
“Bike shops near Minster, OH”
- Google: 38th hit shows my Google+ page
- Bing / Yahoo: NOTHING at least until page 10 and then I gave up
“Shed’s Bike Shop”
- Google: 29th hit shows my Website
- Bing / Yahoo: 2nd / 4th hit shows my Website. Ok, maybe we are getting somewhere?
“Shed’s Bike Shop Minster, OH” – I’ll be super precise, guaranteed to hit #1
- Google: 1st hit is Facebook, 2nd is Google+, 3rd is Website, YES!!!
- Bing / Yahoo: NOTHING, WTF?!?!?!
So at this point, I'm really frustrated with the internet. I’ve learned that Google loves extremely specific search queries, and Bing/Yahoo gets really confused with extremely specific queries. And it appears there is a high probability someone will NOT find out about my shop by doing a search online.
I feel something like this…..
And that would be the end of the story, except for a conversation with a customer yesterday, who needed a tube replaced, that went something like this….
Me: “How did you hear about the shop?”
Customer: “I Googled it!”
Me: “What?! Really?!”
And.... this is How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Internet!
P.S. If you are reading this, and you see I missed some form of social media / directory / etc., or you have some advice to get my website to the forefront of the search engines, your comments would be appreciated.
P.S.S. Yes, I own and enjoy all (well nearly all) of Kubrick’s films....just an FYI since I'm putting it all out there anyway.